Skip to main content

No Name Folder

As a secondary teacher, it is no secret that students forget to write their names on their projects and papers. (This has become less of an issue with digital submissions.) As a young teacher, I witnessed a genius tactic for dealing with all those lost souls: the "no name" folder.

Photo by Wahid Khene on Unsplash



On my bulletin board, I stapled a file folder with the large label "No Name." Papers were placed in the folder with a label of when it was received and the period, if possible. (I had separate turn-in spots for each class.) When students and parents would ask where they could look, I had one spot!

Here are some pro-tips:
  • Do not grade an item until the name has been assigned. This is for two reasons: students will not try to claim an assignment that was not theirs for a good grade. Secondly, it provides privacy to the student who forgot to write their name.
  • Circle the name spot so if there is a question on why something was late being graded, you can reference that there was originally no name.
  • Choose to believe in students. When they say they handed something in and it was marked missing, ask them to double-check the folder. I used this tactic when parents would email me, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gift Card Giveaway

Information will be sent out to my TPT store followers on May 8th on how to win the $10 gift card.

Teaching Channel

Another great free resource is the Teaching Channel . I used it when I was looking for ideas on teaching middle schoolers integers. On the website, I found a video and lesson plan for a scenario a teacher set up for her students to make it more tangible. They email weekly with videos on various topics, like common core.

Freebie: Interactive 3D Models

DewWool is a newer store with many free online resources! I found the " Root Structure " diagram and thought it was too good not to share.  This is for you if you need resources for students to label structures. (It also includes math and elementary education resources.) The resources appear to be simple and easy to use. One downfall, because it's free, is there are advertisements. I know this was a concern with the last school I worked at students: viewing unapproved materials via popup ads. Photo by  おにぎり  on  Unsplash